22 November 2008

Vincent Motorcycles


I like Motorcycles, but I've never gotten an endorsement. Haven't even ridden one in years and I'm profoundly shamed by this fact.

I can give the usual excuses; I spend a lot of time out of the United States, I've lost several friends to bike accidents, work, laziness, etc.

That out of the way, I'd like to talk about one of my favorite motorcycle companies of yesteryear.

Vincent was a British brand before and for a few years after the Second World War. They made beautiful bikes but their real claim to fame was the fact that they were the fastest production bike available.

The World's Fastest Standard Motorcycle - This is a fact, not a slogan!



Rollie Free riding across the salt flats at 150.313 mph



The last Vincent was produced in 1955. They were sold for about five hundred pounds new and today command prices above one hundred thousand pounds, fairly good return on an investment.



New Vincent

There are plans to make a modern bike with the old Vincent Brand, but they don't seem to have produced anything but prototypes.

Link to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Motorcycles

Link to the new Vincent Homepage: http://www.vincentmotors.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment